I was given some cilantro by a neighbor the other day and was itching to use it. I LOVE cilantro. I scoured my Pinterest Food Board and came across this Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake recipe. Most of the ingredients I had on hand, but I also had to do some improvising. Here’s the original recipe. My version is below.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (I used Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice)
- ¾ cups frozen corn
- 15 ounce can red beans, drained and rinsed (I would have preferred black beans, but I didn’t have any on hand)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 8-10 ounce can tomatoes and green chilies
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce (I think it was 8 ounces – I know it was a small can)
- ½ packet of fajita seasoning
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, plus more for topping and garnish
- ¼ cup or so of chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Make sure the yogurt and cheese are stirred in throughout the entire bowl. Transfer to an oven-safe dish and top with extra cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through. Garnish with cheese and chopped cilantro.
We crumbled tortilla chips on top of ours to give it a nice crunch. You could also serve this with Fritos or Doritos or in a taco or tortilla shell, or use it as stuffing for stuffed peppers. Yum!
Here are a couple more yummy Mexican-style dishes: