Today we’ll continue our ‘praying scripture’ journey and look at scriptures (turned into prayers) that speak truth into times when we are facing difficulties and/or a difficult season of life. These prayers are just examples. Feel free to use them as they are or modify them using your own words and specific situation(s).
Click here for prayers on anger and frustration.
Lord, help me see this struggle as an opportunity for joy, as an opportunity for my faith to be tested so that I can gain endurance to make it through to the other side of this. Thank you for your faithfulness in comforting me during my struggles so that I can point others to you as I give them the same comfort you’ve given me. In Jesus’ name, amen.
- 2 Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. James 1:2-4
- He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. 2 Corinthians 1:4
Lord, I know you are working in this situation. Please open my eyes so that I may see you at work. I want to see you. I want to believe You when you say that all plans are worked out for my good and Your glory. Lord, help my unbelief. Thank you for your faithfulness. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.
- 16 “Don’t be afraid!” Elisha told him. “For there are more on our side than on theirs!” 17 Then Elisha prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!” The Lord opened the young man’s eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire. 2 Kings 6:16-17 (This is an amazing account in the Bible. It’s well worth your time to read the whole chapter!)
- 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
- 24 The father instantly cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!” Mark 9:24
- If we are unfaithful, he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is. 2 Timothy 2:13
Lord, what I am facing now is so incredibly difficult. I get lost in it often and it robs me of my joy and thankfulness. Help me be joyful in all circumstances so that my life points to you. Lord, please guide my gaze upwards, fixating my eyes on Jesus so that I continue to run with endurance this race you have set before me! In Jesus’ name, amen.
- 16 Always be joyful. 17 Never stop praying. 18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
- Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Hebrews 12:1-3
You may notice that the prayers include a “so that” clause. For more on “so that” prayers, click here.
What scriptures do you pray when you are experiencing a hardship?