Let me just start by saying…these are DELICIOUS!!!
My friend and coworker told me about this Southwestern Stuffed Pepper recipe she found on Pinterest. This recipe is really not that difficult, but it is more difficult than most recipes I’ve tried (I’m still pretty new to this cooking thing), so I was a little worried about how it would turn out. Let’s just say, I’ve made it more than once :).
Check out these pictures. One is MY stuffed peppers, the other is the recipe owner’s stuffed peppers. Can’t tell the difference, can ya? 😉
I bet you thought my peppers were on the right, didn’t you?? Ok, ok, mine don’t LOOK as good, but, I’m tellin ya, they tasted really, really, really good!
Here are the ingredients, including my modifications (for the full recipe, click on the Southwestern Stuffed Peppers link above):
- Olive Oil (I used EVOO)
- 1/2 lb lean ground turkey breast (My friend suggested ground beef, which we both used. Also, I probably used closer to one pound.)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 heaping tbsp of homemade or packaged/premade taco seasoning
- 2 cups of cooked rice, any type you like (I used the brown rice in a bag that you microwave.)
- 3-4 organic bell peppers, halved and seeds removed
- 1 can of black beans, drained & rinsed
- ½ cup of organic frozen corn
- 1 (15 -16 ounce) jar of salsa (The original pinner’s favorite is mango peach. I searched for this and couldn’t find it, but did find peach salsa. It’s delicious! It adds a sweet flavor.)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- fresh cilantro (In my opinion, you MUST have this! It adds a really good flavor.)
- sour cream
- sliced avocado (I didn’t use this.)
My friend also said she had a bunch of the stuffing left over. Instead of wasting it, she used it for tacos. I didn’t have any extra the first time I made it, BUT my husband isn’t a huge fan of peppers. Keeping this in mind the second time, I made extra stuffing and used 3 peppers instead of 4. My husband enjoyed soft tacos stuffed with this amazing stuffing while I had the peppers! We were both happy :).